Thursday, April 11, 2013

42

I grew up playing baseball. I loved to play. I especially loved the snow cones, Gatorade, and/or ice cream after the games. I grew up when all the baseball movies came out too; Angels in the Outfield, Rookie of the Year, The Sandlot, Field of Dreams, and I have sisters so you bet I saw A League of Their Own.

As I got older I pursued other interests but my love for the game rounded a different base. I loved learning about the history of the game and about the players and the stories from a different day and age. Athletes who's motivation was to prove something as they played for the love of the game and not for the fame or monetary reward. One such player was Jackie Robinson. Once I learned who he was, I was hooked.

Here is a pencil on paper piece I did many years ago. I didn't plan this but I happened to find a frame to fit it the same week 42 hits theaters. All these years it finally has a frame and a part of his story will cinematically be told. Needless to say I am excited for 42.

"The way I figured it, I was even with baseball and baseball with me. The game had done much for me, and I had done much for it." 
- Jackie Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment